Family recounts terrifying moments after fire


(STORY IMAGE:KHQ.COM)

It's a heart breaking story we've been following since it Tuesday night; a Spokane preschooler suffers burns on over 70% of her body after a space heater caught her pajamas on fire.     

Rehema's father Chenzi is with her right now at Harborview Medical Center in Seattle. He tells KHQ that doctors originally told him they weren't sure his little girl would survive.

"It was really really bad. She couldn't even move her legs or hands, but she was just like half dead but after a day then she start moving her hand and her leg, and right now she can open her eyes when you call her but she cannot talk because she has a lot of tubes in her nose and mouth and everywhere on her body,"" he says.

Doctors say she will have multiple surgeries and skin grafts over the next few weeks, describing it as a difficult road to recovery that will likely take months.

Refugees from the war-torn Congo, her father says this is the hardest thing his family has ever had to face.

Rehema's mother was also flown to Harborview to get treated for burns she suffered while trying to rescue her little girl, but was released Thursday evening.

Thanks to the Red Cross and social workers, the family is staying in an apartment near the hospital to be at Rehema's side.

Friends and family have set up a gofundme account to help with the family's bills while little Rehema recovers, as her parents will be unable to work while they stay by her side.

If you would like to donate, you can do so by clicking here: https://www.gofundme.com/rehemas-family

590 KQNT · Spokane's News Radio

Listen Now on iHeartRadio